LovecyclingSG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Shimano gonna curse and swear

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ztcc78
Bad Man
ztcc78

Shimano gonna curse and swear Empty
PostSubject: Shimano gonna curse and swear   Shimano gonna curse and swear I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:33 pm

how true do u think?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112055678851789&v=wall
Prodik
Cool Dad
Prodik

PostSubject: Re: Shimano gonna curse and swear   Shimano gonna curse and swear I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm

ummh... the question is move more (Shimano) is better or lesser movement (SRam) is better?
Back to top Go down
tylsteve

PostSubject: Re: Shimano gonna curse and swear   Shimano gonna curse and swear I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm

The Shimano RD is moving more because there is a spring pivot on the RD mounting bolt, that's why it is bouncing more. The SRAM RD doesn't have a pivot on the mounting bolt, rather, it is rigidly fixed to the gear hanger.

When shifting on flat ground, both should work equally well. But when shifting on bumpy terrain, the Shimano RD might be bouncing too much to shift accurately.

However, the pivot on the Shimano RD can be thought of as a "suspension" for the RD. It absorbs the movement of the RD when over bumpy terrain, reducing risk of damage to RD or gear hanger. Also, if you accidentally bump your Shimano RD against a rock or something, the pivot might help to absorb the impact and prevent damage.
Back to top Go down
ztcc78
Bad Man
ztcc78

PostSubject: Re: Shimano gonna curse and swear   Shimano gonna curse and swear I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:34 am

tylsteve wrote:
The Shimano RD is moving more because there is a spring pivot on the RD mounting bolt, that's why it is bouncing more. The SRAM RD doesn't have a pivot on the mounting bolt, rather, it is rigidly fixed to the gear hanger.

When shifting on flat ground, both should work equally well. But when shifting on bumpy terrain, the Shimano RD might be bouncing too much to shift accurately.

However, the pivot on the Shimano RD can be thought of as a "suspension" for the RD. It absorbs the movement of the RD when over bumpy terrain, reducing risk of damage to RD or gear hanger. Also, if you accidentally bump your Shimano RD against a rock or something, the pivot might help to absorb the impact and prevent damage.
thanks shimano engineer.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112055678851789&v=wall
tambre

PostSubject: Re: Shimano gonna curse and swear   Shimano gonna curse and swear I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Have both systems. Based on personal experience, SRAM could not shift on more than 3 occasions but none sio far for Shimano. Quite scary when the thing jammed but not sure if it is a setup issue. Heard fron bike shop owner, he also claimed Shimano perform better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shimano gonna curse and swear   Shimano gonna curse and swear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shimano gonna curse and swear
Page 1 of 1