LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Closing Date Brought Forward   Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 am

Dear All,

Just a quick update:

1) The closing date is brought forward to 12:00pm, 30th June (Thursday) as I need to finalise the bookings for ferry & resort before I travel overseas 13th July.

2) I would like to arrange a briefing on Sunday 10th July at 12:00noon - venue to be notified later.

3) For those who are interested in the trip, please email me your particluars if you have not done so & sms me after you have paid up. Kindly note that confirmation is ONLY upon receipt of payment. I will update the post on those who have given their details & made payment on Monday 27th June and Thursday 30th June.

rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Mary_Ang

avatar

Posts : 400
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Jurong West

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:33 pm

michaelkhaw2010 wrote:
Dear All,

Just a quick update:

1) The closing date is brought forward to 12:00pm, 30th June (Thursday) as I need to finalise the bookings for ferry & resort before I travel overseas 13th July.

2) I would like to arrange a briefing on Sunday 10th July at 12:00noon - venue to be notified later.

3) For those who are interested in the trip, please email me your particluars if you have not done so & sms me after you have paid up. Kindly note that confirmation is ONLY upon receipt of payment. I will update the post on those who have given their details & made payment on Monday 27th June and Thursday 30th June.

rgds,
Mike

Thks Mike Smile
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/2011/04/there-is-somethi
sttennis

avatar

Posts : 96
Join date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:00 pm

All the best to those who signed up and have lots of fun! I went there with Taiwoon, Mike, Brother Alvin, Joshua and Dr. Kevin Soh last year and it's still the most memorable cycling trip I have had so far! The ride is challenging, weather was unforgiving, food was good, scenery is beautiful, resort was gorgeous! Remember, when u all come back, u can brag all about it to those who haven't been!
Back to top Go down
sttennis

avatar

Posts : 96
Join date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:04 pm

crumpets wrote:
don't forget to include into equipement list :- a tow rope !
No need lah! Just do what I did! Hold on to the door of the support vehicle when going up slope!
Back to top Go down
sttennis

avatar

Posts : 96
Join date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Here is the link to the photos we took at our last Bintan trip! This should give u an idea about the trip itself. Enjoy! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.457600687648.247032.649467648
Back to top Go down
jimmylam

avatar

Posts : 108
Join date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm

sttennis wrote:
Here is the link to the photos we took at our last Bintan trip! This should give u an idea about the trip itself. Enjoy! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.457600687648.247032.649467648
Dear Khakis
Can use Sing $ in Bintan? Pls advice.
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Update of Confirmed participants as of Monday 27th June:

Names: Cyclist / Paid / Details Given:

1)Michael Khaw √ / √ / √

2)Lam Kah Foo √ / √ / √

3)Lam Chee Yin √ / √ / √

4)Ng Kweng Kwang √ / √ / √

5)Ang Mary √ / √ /√

6)Oh Lee Koon, Kimi √ / √ / √
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:04 pm

jimmylam wrote:
sttennis wrote:
Here is the link to the photos we took at our last Bintan trip! This should give u an idea about the trip itself. Enjoy! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.457600687648.247032.649467648
Dear Khakis
Can use Sing $ in Bintan? Pls advice.

Hi Jimmy,

Can use Sing $ at kelong.
But better idea to change some for 2nd day ride when we need local currency at the villages for drinks &etc.
$20 equivalent is plenty if you are not going for massages.
I often change $50.

rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
jimmylam

avatar

Posts : 108
Join date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:23 pm

michaelkhaw2010 wrote:
jimmylam wrote:
sttennis wrote:
Here is the link to the photos we took at our last Bintan trip! This should give u an idea about the trip itself. Enjoy! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.457600687648.247032.649467648
Dear Khakis
Can use Sing $ in Bintan? Pls advice.

Hi Jimmy,

Can use Sing $ at kelong.
But better idea to change some for 2nd day ride when we need local currency at the villages for drinks &etc.
$20 equivalent is plenty if you are not going for massages.
I often change $50.

rgds,
Mike

Papa Mike, thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Lugerider

avatar

Posts : 140
Join date : 2011-05-27

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Can I ask are there participants for non-cyclists group?
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Updated list of Confirmed Cyslists as of 28th June 2011:

Names: Cyclist / Paid / Details Given:

Michael Khaw √ / √ / √

Lam Kah Foo √ / √ / √

Lam Chee Yin √ / √ / √

Ng Kweng Kwang √ / √ / √

Ang Mary √ / √ / √

Oh Lee Koon, Kimi √ / √ / √

Au Yeong Kin Choong √ / √ / √

SO FAR NONE HAS REGISTERED AS NON-CYCLISTS.
YOU ARE ALSO WELCOME TO JOIN IN IF NOT CYCLING.
YOU WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO THE KELONG.
HOWEVER, WHETHER YOU HAVE A SEPERATE TRANSFER OR WILL BE IN THE SAFETY VEHICLE WILL DEPEND ON THE NUMBER OF NON-CYCLISTS.
IF MORE THAN 4, YOU WILL HAVE A SEPERATE TRANSFER TO THE KELONG EARLY INSTEAD OF TRAVELLING ON THE SAFETY VEHICLE.
IF 3 OR LESS, YOU CAN HAVE THE PLEASURE OF "SEEING" THE CYCLISTS "ENJOY/SUFFER" THE RIDE FROM THE SAFETY VEHICLE Very Happy

rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Lugerider wrote:
Can I ask are there participants for non-cyclists group?

Hi Desmond,

So far, only 7 cyclists have confirmed.
I understand, another will want to join, making it a total of 8 cyclists.
There has not been any interest from the non-cyclist group.

If you are keen to particpate as non-cyclist, you are very much welcome to join in & enjoy the facilities at Ocean Bay resort.
However, I would suggest that you get a group of 4 people at least so that I can arrange a seperate transfer from the ferry terminal direct to the kelong instead of following us on the safety vehicle. We anticpate that it will take us up to 5 hours to get to the kelong on our bikes. If you get a transfer direct, the car ride will take only 45 min. Hope this helps.
But please give particulars & make payment preferrably before 30th.
rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Lugerider

avatar

Posts : 140
Join date : 2011-05-27

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 am

Hi, Mike, thanks for the info.

I'm considering joining as cyclist, just wanted to find out are there non cyclists to see if want to persuade wife to go (as non cyclist).

Need to make arrangement in office and apply for "visa" from wife before I can confirm.

Noted on deadline and will confirm by 30th.

Cheerios
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Lugerider wrote:
Hi, Mike, thanks for the info.

I'm considering joining as cyclist, just wanted to find out are there non cyclists to see if want to persuade wife to go (as non cyclist).

Need to make arrangement in office and apply for "visa" from wife before I can confirm.

Noted on deadline and will confirm by 30th.

Cheerios

Hi Desmond,

Noted your interest.

2 more riders have confirmed:
1) Uncle Teo
2) Joshua Hii.

Will update the riders list tomorrow after I receive their details.

rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
frenzzsg
Ride Secretary
avatar

Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : SengKang

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:06 pm

michaelkhaw2010 wrote:


Hi Jimmy,

Can use Sing $ at kelong.
But better idea to change some for 2nd day ride when we need local currency at the villages for drinks &etc.
$20 equivalent is plenty if you are not going for massages.
I often change $50.

rgds,
Mike

Papa mike!!! I luv massages....so $50 sing still enuff?? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:03 pm

frenzzsg wrote:
michaelkhaw2010 wrote:


Hi Jimmy,

Can use Sing $ at kelong.
But better idea to change some for 2nd day ride when we need local currency at the villages for drinks &etc.
$20 equivalent is plenty if you are not going for massages.
I often change $50.

rgds,
Mike

Papa mike!!! I luv massages....so $50 sing still enuff?? Very Happy

Hi Kimi,

The massage at the kelong though cheaper than Singapore is a bit more expensive than the ones in Tanjung Pinang. (agak agak $40+ vs $25-30+ if my memory serves me). However considering that they are coming from Tanjung Pinang (about 45 km away), it is reasonable. Anyway, let me know how many are keen to have the massage at the kelong and I will contact the kelong operator to contact the masseuses to arrive at the kelong around 5:30pm or so assuming we arrive by 3pm & have lunch done with by 4:30pm. I remember that they have only facility for 2 persons at a time. I will also find out the price and post here.

The $50 allowance is assuming you have the massage in Tanjung Pinang.
If you are having the massage at the kelong prepare more.
I guess, safer to bring $100 SGD for the entire trip.
(ps, you may wish to change SGD to Rupiah only at the kelong so that you don't end up with unnecessary Rupiah)
rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Update 29th June 2011
- 9 confirmed riders
- non-riders - nil

Names: Cyclist / Paid / Details Given:

Michael Khaw √ / √ / √

Lam Kah Foo √ / √ / √

Lam Chee Yin √ / √ / √

Ng Kweng Kwang √ / √ / √

Ang Mary √ / √ / √

Oh Lee Koon, Kimi √ / √ / √

Au Yeong Kin Choong √ / √ / √

Teo Boon Tiong √ / √ / √

Hii Shiun Jiin √ / √ / √


Update on Massage at Ocean Bay resort.
- facilities available for 2 persons at a time.
- Between $30 to $40 per hour
- if you would like massage on Friday 5th Aug, please let me have the following and I will inform resort operator to arrange.
1) names of those interested
2) duration - 1 or 2 hours.

rgds.
Mike
Back to top Go down
frenzzsg
Ride Secretary
avatar

Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : SengKang

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 pm

michaelkhaw2010 wrote:
Update 29th June 2011
Update on Massage at Ocean Bay resort.
- facilities available for 2 persons at a time.
- Between $30 to $40 per hour
- if you would like massage on Friday 5th Aug, please let me have the following and I will inform resort operator to arrange.
1) names of those interested
2) duration - 1 or 2 hours.

rgds.
Mike

Thx for info!! Smile
i'm keen on a 2hrs massage if it's OTOT after our lunch.. What a Face
but if there's anything planned for the group, then i'll forgo the massage... alien
Back to top Go down
Lugerider

avatar

Posts : 140
Join date : 2011-05-27

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Mike

Think I will give this trip a miss. I am going for the 31 Jul Lobster Craving Pengarang Trip so my "VISA" will be difficult to get approval. Also, its near National Day Long Weekend, may be taking a family trip instead.

Hope to join in for other overseas trip.

You guys enjoy and take lots of pictures to share Ya !
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 pm

frenzzsg wrote:
michaelkhaw2010 wrote:
Update 29th June 2011
Update on Massage at Ocean Bay resort.
- facilities available for 2 persons at a time.
- Between $30 to $40 per hour
- if you would like massage on Friday 5th Aug, please let me have the following and I will inform resort operator to arrange.
1) names of those interested
2) duration - 1 or 2 hours.

rgds.
Mike

Thx for info!! Smile
i'm keen on a 2hrs massage if it's OTOT after our lunch.. What a Face
but if there's anything planned for the group, then i'll forgo the massage... alien

Noted Kimi.
Will arrange.

rgds,
Mike
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Lugerider wrote:
Hi Mike

Think I will give this trip a miss. I am going for the 31 Jul Lobster Craving Pengarang Trip so my "VISA" will be difficult to get approval. Also, its near National Day Long Weekend, may be taking a family trip instead.

Hope to join in for other overseas trip.

You guys enjoy and take lots of pictures to share Ya !

Noted Desmond.
No probs.

rdgds
Mike
Back to top Go down
michaelkhaw2010



Posts : 53
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:01 pm

UPDATE 30th JUNE 201:

1) The ride for 3D / 2 N Bintan is now closed.

2) The following are the confirmed participants:
Michael Khaw
Lam Kah Foo
Lam Chee Yin
Ng Kweng Kwang
Ang Mary
Oh Lee Koon, Kimi
Au Yeong Kin Choong
Teo Boon Tiong
Hii Shiun Jiin

3) It was originally thought that we would have a meeting to do a trip briefing. In view of the different schedules of the participants, and in the interest of efficient time management, I will instead post the briefing on this site by 12:00pm 7th June 2011. Should you have any query or need clarification, please feel free to then call or email me.

rgds,
Mike

Back to top Go down
Mary_Ang

avatar

Posts : 400
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Jurong West

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:14 pm

BRIEFING:
BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)

Outward:
- ETD = 08:10 Hrs (Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal -1st departure)
- ETA = 08:10 Hrs (Telok Sebong, Bintan Resorts) / Bandar Bintan Telani)

Return:
- ETD = 17:30 Hrs (Telok Sebong, Bintan Resorts) / Bandar Bintan Telani)
- ETA =19:30 Hrs (Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal)

Check-In (1 & ½ hrs before departure)
- 6:30am 5th August (Friday)
- Please be punctual
- Breakfast is available at the ferry terminal (at own expense)
- Remember passports!
- Prepare $10 for bicycle levy (each way)

Parking:
- suggest that you park at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal

Shopping:
If you are interested in buying dried seafood, kueh lapis, etc, please let me know.
We can get the person who runs the kelong to help buy this for us from Tanjung Pinang.
It will save us an additional trip into town.
You can give the orders to her on the 1st day when we arrive into the resort.
As far as I can remember, prices are reasonable & definitely cheaper than the shops at the ferry terminal.

Meals:
Will be broadly seafood based.
There will be chicken dishes but no pork.
Beer (already included in package) will be available during lunch & dinner on top of non alcoholic drinks 
Please let me know if anyone has any diet restriction(s)

Massage:
Have arranged masseuses to be at the resort’s spa on 1st day.
If you want massage on 2nd day as well, please let me know.

1st Day (Cycle red route ~ 69 km)

0900Hrs
- leave ferry terminal
- 1st rest point
o 12 km from ferry terminal (this is the entrance to rural Bintan)
o 15 min rest
- 2nd rest point
o Lunch break (about 30km mark)
- 3rd rest point (coffee)
o About 45 km mark
o 15 min rest

1500 ~ 1600hrs
- ETA @ kelong
- lunch to follow immediately after check in & quick wash up.

17:00 – 20:00
- free time / massage

20:00
- dinner

21:30 onwards free time


2nd Day: (Cycle Green Route ~ 65 km)

07:00 Hrs
- breakfast

Option 1:
Cycle the route marked in green
- will have to have an early start
- passing through several small villages, last 15 – 20km hills ++
- very sparse vegetation generally & exposed. So prepare for hot days!
- Budget 6 hours
- Leave by 8:00am
- Back by 2 or 3pm

Option 2:
- Leisurely ride to nearby kampong (15km) for coffee & otah)
- Look for cheaper massages (than @ resort) around 20 to 25 km from resort area.
- budget 4 to 5 hours
- enjoy facilities at kelong
- Leave by 9am
- Back by 2 or 3 pm

We have lunch together once everyone is back ~ 2 or 3pm?


3rd Day:

07:00 Hrs
- Breakfast

09:00 Hrs
- Depart resort

Lunch (midway) will be packed lunch

15:00 – 15:30 Hrs
- ETA ferry terminal
- There is facility at ferry terminal to do a quick wash up at the WC
- Prepare a spare change of clothing for this.

Checklist:

1. Waterproof bag for all valuables
2. Sunscreen
3. First aid kit / personal medications
4. Water bottle
5. Helmet, gloves & shoes
(Absolutely compulsory)
6. Spare tube for your bike
(At least one)
7. Multi-tool, puncture kit, pump & tire levers
(Important that you have your own)
8. Money for your expenses of personal nature
9. Camera
10. Passport with 6 months validity
11. Your personal effects for the duration of the trip.



Please note:

The trip is done purely at your own risk and participation by anyone implicitly indemnifies the organiser from any liability whatsoever.

There are activities at the resort to keep non-cyclists occupied eg fishing, videos, carrom, billiard, karaoke, massage, canoeing. (however island hopping & fishing at their pond – is at own cost)
[code]
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/2011/04/there-is-somethi
frenzzsg
Ride Secretary
avatar

Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : SengKang

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Mary, since we'll be having safety vehicles with us, does this mean I won't need to have any touring rack on my bike? I'm planning to ride my cannondale instead of e BF..Very Happy

If this's true, then I will only have my hydration backpack with me during e ride...heehee...
Back to top Go down
twwoon
Ride Organizer
avatar

Posts : 731
Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 am

Kimi, I did it with full load even with support vehicle. Why? because I want to train for the eventual touring trip which there are no support. My motto, train in peace time, bleed less in wartime.. Smile It is shiong.... but ok cuz if u "buang"... can always sit on the safety vehicle. I just do like safety vehicle as I find it is a "mental crutch"... and u know behind ur mind..."I can bailout..." Just sharing my thoughts..

It will be an epic ride.. with or without full touring load. Ride safe and ride free!

frenzzsg wrote:
Mary, since we'll be having safety vehicles with us, does this mean I won't need to have any touring rack on my bike? I'm planning to ride my cannondale instead of e BF..Very Happy

If this's true, then I will only have my hydration backpack with me during e ride...heehee...

_________________
Taiwoon
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)   

Back to top Go down
 
BINTAN RIDE: 3 Days 2 Nights - 5th August (Friday) to 7th August (Sunday)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LovecyclingSG :: All about bikes :: Ride Archives 2011 and 2010-
Jump to: