LovecyclingSG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lkw888

Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie Empty
PostSubject: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi guys, I come to know about this community from newspapers and I'm very interested in this healthy activity.

I'm a middle-age uncle, big size (not muscular type, you get the meaning, heh) and the past cycling experience (even for short distance) only leave me with a sore backside (probably too much pressure on the small bicycle seat). I intend to pick this exercise mainly for health and de-stress reason. I've read some of the forum posts esp those on bicycle talks but would like to seek the veterans and pros here to clarify some of my queries:

1. What is the difference between foldie and non-foldie (other than the fact that one is foldable when unused while the other is not), I mean other than storage benefit, any difference in comfort level (eg ride over long period of time w/o backside pain) or performance area?

2. For someone who is tall and big size (not muscular type), which is more suitable for joining the rides organised by the community? My main concern is comfort and performance (not for racing but good enuff for newbie uncle to ride up slope w/o lossing half my life after the event, heh).

3. Based on #2, is there any beginner brand/model to recommend? No specific budget but hoping to get one which is not too expensive yet suitable for beginner, so it's not too heart pain to sell it off when I'm ready for higher end model.

4. Any good bicycle shop to recommend in the west (Jurong/Boon Lay) area?

Many thanks in advance! alien
Back to top Go down
tylsteve

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

come, who wants to start the ball rolling?

For folding bikes, check out MyBikeShop near west coast, www.mybikeshop.com.sg
Back to top Go down
Vince

Vince

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

The comfort level of your bike is based solely on your set-up alone, i.e. the length between handlebar and saddle, the comfort level of your saddle, the type of tires, etc.. I dun think foldie or not does matter, as many parts are available for both foldies and full-size bikes, small wheels and big wheels. it depends how you ride, whether you go for speed or touring, that determines the sort of set-up you should go..
Back to top Go down
Vince

Vince

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:10 pm

but one thing is for sure, foldies are not built for rugged terrain or stunts, because there are more joints than a full-size bike, the frame cannot withstand high stress
Back to top Go down
lkw888

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick respond. I love you

I noticed many of the community members ride a folder and after reading Taiwoon's blog, I start to appreciate the beauty of foldie, esp the portability function.

I also notice foldie's wheels are smaller then typical bikes, is it because of cycling comfort reason (smaller wheels, easier and less effort to paddle)? If yes, then it makes sense for newbie like me to go for foldie to handle slope cycling.

Btw, does anyone ride electric bike for the cycling event hosted by the community?
Back to top Go down
tylsteve

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:15 pm

The wheels are smaller mainly because it allows the bike to fold to a smaller package. With large wheels, even if folded the compactness and portability is limited by the wheel size.

Overall length is shorter too, although the wheelbase is similar to large wheeled bikes.
Back to top Go down
lkw888

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 am

I see, thanks for clarifying, but is there a different in riding for bigger wheel vs smaller wheel foldies? I mean in term of the ease of paddling?

Also wonder if any of the community member cycle electric bike for Sunday event? I have knee cap problem so not sure if I can takan cycling long distance so eletric bike will at least allow me to follow the pace even when my knee pains.

I wonder if you guys have any good recommendation for eletric foldie, brand/model that can take 95kg of weight and can fold up and put into car boot.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
eekee

eekee

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Bikes with bigger wheels tends to be more stable than smaller wheels, it is a matter of getting used to the feeling of riding a small wheel bike. (I've got bikes that are of different sizes, 8", 16", 20" & 26").

In terms of ease of cycling, this is mainly due to the gearing of the bike.

An electric bike, being heavier would be tougher to ride. I would rather you get a foldable bike, so that you can fold it up and take a cab if you choose to.

Mybike shop (MBS) is a good place to start as they have a range of demo bikes for you to try. In addition, the friendly staff are there to help answer your queries. (no pressure tactics there).

Generally, most of the rides by LCSG are reasonably paced and we have a sweeper to make sure that no one gets left behind. (for those tougher rides, the organiser will highlight there are alot of slops, heavy traffic etc...).

In the rides that I've participated, I've not seen anyone been left behind.....
Back to top Go down
lkw888

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Many thanks for the advices, guess I will start with a basic/mid-range Dahon foldie which can take 1.8m and 95kg rider, preferably something between $500-1000 (dun mind pretty new condition 2nd hand bike too since read from one local cycling blog that it's better to start off with 2nd hand bike until I know what I really want).

I've drilled down to Dahon MuP8 and SpeedP8:
- I personally find MuP8 seems more chio (personal view, no offence to SpeedP8 owner, though some websites say it's more "girlie" look, but at my age, who care, lol!).
- In term of comfort, SpeedP8 seems to be at the upper hand (at the expense of performance but since I'm riding for comfort/fun than performance, still ok to me) due to Big Apple tires.

I wonder if I can have the best of both world - MuP8 with Big Apple ties, not sure if I need to top up for the trade-in or MuP8 original wheels cost more than Big Apple tires. Also not sure if BA tires will work well with MuP8 frame and stuffs.

Appreciate if anyone can share their feedback on these 2 bikes as well as 2011 models' RSP in Singapore, TIA!
Back to top Go down
lkw888

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:58 am

Just an update, after riding an Aleoca bike borrowed from a relative for a while and confirm I can commit to regular riding exercise, I know it's time to get my very 1st bike.

I initially considered Dahon Speed P8, Mu P8 and Vitesse D7, hoping to find out which is the most comfy ride for long distance (me old uncle so not going for speed, most impt is comfortable to ride long distance for exercise and exploring purposes) but all these models are OOS at MBS (nearest reputable bike shop in my area). As a result I started to read about other brands and shortlisted Tern Link D8, P9, P24h and Verge P18 (ie entry bikes below $2k and they are the closest models to Dahon bikes). After some test rides at MBS I settled on P24h bcoz I found it the most comfortable bike to ride (I also test ride this bike for the longest distance coz it's really a joy to ride). Initially I thought the 24-speed is the last thing I need as a beginner rider but after using it on up slope riding, I like it very much bcoz it makes riding up slope easier and comfortable. The recommendation here is absolutely right - test ride all the models you shortlist and see which one suits you best. For someone who hardly exercise for the past many years, I can easily ride for an hour near my place w/o feeling too tired (unlike my relative bike which I ride for 15-20 min already butt pain not to mention the aching legs). Thanks to the poison here I also get some upgrades when I bought the bike, like the Rido2 seat (1st time buy bike, helm and accessories etc all in one go so able to get some discounts).

To those are are looking for their first bike, it does sound abit risky to get such a good entry-level bike plus upgrades for a beginner rider but during my search for my dream bike I come across several owners selling very new used bike as they are upgrading to better bikes (many are <6 mths old) so I thot what the hack, might as well spend abit more and get the right one so I can at least be immune to the poisoning here for some times before thinking of getting another bike. Laughing

Anyway I'll watch out for the riding activities here and hopefully can join some of the events in near future. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Dave Lee

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi
Just wish to add on to this query about folding bicycles.
Especially for those about to buy.
I think the 1st consideration should be about how you want to ride the folding bicycle.
If you want to ride on the road all the times, then any foldies will do depending on your budget. The higher the cost the better the ride. On the road 9 speeds is good enough.
BUT if you only ride on the park connectors and you do not own a car, then you MUST buy a Brompton as you need to take the MRT to go to far away parks.
No other foldies can be transported (pushed) around so easily. You end up carrying other foldies to the MRT instead of pushing. And this is very cumbersome especially on the escalator. The Brompton is designed and made to be transported around effortlessly.
No, I do not own a Brompton as I transport my Birdy by car.
One day I will have to buy a MR6 when I gave up my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie   Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old man newbie query on foldie vs non-foldie
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LovecyclingSG :: All about bikes :: Bike talk-
Jump to: