LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
imprezzive

PostSubject: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 am

Hi gurus and techies,

Recently thinking of things to zhng my 2008 Dahon.

Now that i have a bike, things i want to upgrades are the likes of tires, brakes and perhaps changing the crank set and even upgrade from 7 to 9 speed.

But first thing first, i would like to change my tires and i've heard about the above. I'm mostly on PCN with my kid mounted on the rear on a Bellelli. Kinda new to the foldie thus asking so much Questions here in the forum.

Hope the braders and sisters out there can enlighten me a bit Very Happy

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 am

what's your wheelset width? for dahon wheels, kinetix comp can fit fatter tires like big apple or marathon supreme, kinetix pro can only fit skinny tires like kojak, marathon racer and duranos.. not sure about supreme for pro thou as some forks that comes with pro wheels may not have enough clearance for supreme.
if you are configuring your foldie for touring, marathon series are good. for speed, either kojak or durano series.
Back to top Go down
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:55 am

take note thou, kojak does not have kevlar protection like marathon or durano..
Back to top Go down
imprezzive

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:01 am

I thank you Vince for the pretty good insghts on the tires. That's really very informative and helpful.

I'm on a 20" wheels. Heard that Big Apple reduce the speed performance in comparison to kojaks and marathon. I prefer to be on the lighter side but i really have to try for myself before deciding.
Back to top Go down
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:28 am

yup, big apple is not going to give that much speed, but is the most comfortable of them all, given the bigger width..
Back to top Go down
imprezzive

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:36 am

I guess that leaves me with the marathon and durano tires. Though i do like the traction feature that Big Apple has but for now i seldom ride on a rough track or roads therefore i don't need it now.
Back to top Go down
ztcc78
Bad Man

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 am

if u pillion ur son.. i would suggest Big Apple
cos it gives kinda bouncing feeling.. will be more comfortable..

Let's make SG a better place to ride for all
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112055678851789&v=wall
imprezzive

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:17 am

For the moment we always make it a point to cycle on the weekend at our neighbourhood PCN.

Perhaps i can try that suggestion.

Thanks bro Bad Man Smile
Back to top Go down
tylsteve

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Take note, Kojak DOES come with Kevlar protection! I have been using Kojaks for over a year, have not had a puncture on my Kojaks. I have either been very lucky or my Kojaks are really tough! haha

Kojaks (1.35") are great if you want to go for some speed, but don't want to go all the way with narrow Durano slicks (1.1"). For a do-it-all tire, the Marathon Racer is great, with its 1.5" width and nice volume.

Never tried Big Apple tires before, but I have only heard praise for it! If you are not in a hurry, come join the rides and try the bikes with the different tires to get a feel.
Back to top Go down
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 am

Oops my bad!.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
imprezzive

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for the input steve. I am kinda hurry to get a new pair of rubber as the one i got when buying my D7 is already worn out.

I do hope that i can join your future rides Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JieRen

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:43 am

Hey imprezzive, recently just changed to big FAT apple tires just share with you my experience...it is really a good rolling tires even though it has a large width compared to other tires.
On rough pavement, it feels better than high pressure tires that i used last time...vibration feedback is minimal, excellent. <-this is what i like about the tires Very Happy
Thin/slim tires is good and efficient when riding at high speed when air resistance comes into play. Think of it as a sharp knife slicing through the air. It doesn't mean fat tire cannot go fast, it can also go fast but it need more effort to "fight" with the air resistance at higher speed...eventually it is still depends on how powerful the rider that drives the bike forward.
Since i seldom ride fast which is why i choose fat tires. To me is a all around tire which is good on the road, pavement as well as light offroad too... Smile
Back to top Go down
JieRen

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 am

Good site for your reference
http://www.balloonbikes.com/en/
Back to top Go down
imprezzive

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Hey bro JieRen....cool sets of rubbers you have there Very Happy

Yeah i was told that it needs as extra effort when using Big apple tyres. It cuts some slacks due to the nature of the tyres.

A lot of bros gave good comments on the durability of the tyre and i guess it all depends on the rider. I am planning to ride at Ubin that's why i need to decide whether should i use big apple or marathon.

I don't really ride fast as most of the time i had my son at the back with me Very Happy

Thanks for the inputs bro...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?   

Back to top Go down

Schwalbe : Kojak, Marathon or Big Apple tires?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LovecyclingSG :: All about bikes :: Bike talk-
Jump to: