LovecyclingSG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Zhng the CurveD3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
boonchun

boonchun

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi
after riding the Pacific Frog. Was wondering if the internal 8 gear hub could fit Dahon CurveD3??
Back to top Go down
Vince

Vince

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Now you know why poison arrow frogs are so brightly coloured and poisonous! lol!
Back to top Go down
Planedev

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 am

Hi I am new to the forums and i also had the idea for zhnging the d3, so far the only IGH I found online that might be able to fit on a D3 is a STURMEY 8-spd HUB 175/120mm old, 28 hole, go google for it and you will get the link you can buy from.

As the OLD is 120mm and has 28 holes, which should be similar to the current one in the D3. Let me know if this will work as I have yet to go thru with it as this is a bit rich for my wallet currently.
Back to top Go down
slowrider

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 am

Congratulations on your purchase of the Curve-D3.

The Curve-D3 was my first foldable.
Like you, I was initially dis-satisfied with the 3-speed only gear.
Hunting high and low for alternatives, I have realized it is just too troublesome and not cost-effective.
Internal gear hubs and 16" rims are hard to find and expensive, not to mention the labour for tunning and assembly.

Instead, I buy another Curve-SL with Nexus 8 to satisfy my overzealous concerns for difficult slopes and terrains.
Over times, it is usually the D3 that gotten picked for leisure outings despite its 3-speed limitations.
I just find the D3 gives a more relax & comfort cycling posture, and the 3-speeds gear is more than adequate for our local terrain.
I am a leisure cyclist and have managed to conquer the slopes at Upper Pierce with my D3 on last Sunday ride with fellow forumers here.
I've come to appreciate the original design intention for the D3, compact & comfort.

For maximum impact, I would advise to upgrade the brakes and levers.
For less flex, change the handlepost to single-piece (no joint, non-adjustable).
For better spinning, upgrade the BBs and Crank. I use a 45T (original was 46T) to ease the climbing.
Back to top Go down
Planedev

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi slowrider, why not use the curve-sl more since it has more gears.
Back to top Go down
slowrider

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:21 pm

I am addicted to the "tick-tick-tick" from SRAM over the silent Nexus Very Happy

To me, gear is only one part of the equation, riding comfort is important too, and the D3 does well in that aspect, especially on the Big Apple.
Back to top Go down
Planedev

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 1:42 pm

So the curve sl does not come with big apples? If so why not put them on it?

Only asking coz my wife feels that her curve lacks in gears esp uphills thus we swap bikes all the time(I have an eco c7)
Back to top Go down
slowrider

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Curve-SL's rim does not fit the Big Apple and I believe the SL was designed for speed hence it was fitted with Marathon Racer.

"lack in gears" is subjective to individual rider's strength.
upgrading the D3 may just not be cost-effective (just my opinion).
u may want to look at other alternatives, trade or sell-off for another more suitable bike for your wife.
Back to top Go down
boonchun

boonchun

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:43 pm

I wonder D3 + Marathon Racer will work...
Back to top Go down
slowrider

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

if do a direct swap of tires only between the 2 Curves, not compatible

D3's uses schrader valve, SL uses presta.

BIG Apple & Marathon Racer have different ETRTOs too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zhng the CurveD3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zhng the CurveD3   Zhng the CurveD3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zhng the CurveD3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LovecyclingSG :: All about bikes :: Bike talk-
Jump to: