LovecyclingSG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

need advise on which foldie to get!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
zaynel

need advise on which foldie to get! Empty
PostSubject: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi bro & sis,

I need some advise on which bike I should get. currently I am looking at stepdragon SS3-21SP Foldie https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.122550544490424.30928.100002064373872&type=1 and dahon speed/Vitesse.

my budget is about $600-800 so all 3 of them fitted well into my budget.
I am planning to upgrade my bike slowly, i guess eventually I will end up with only frame stock.
which bike is it more worth getting? or any other brand/model to recommend?
or should I increase my budget to get better ones?
I prefer a lighter weight bike.

Thanks in advance ^^

Back to top Go down
tylsteve

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey if you intend to upgrade all your components, it is very important to select a good frame. Also, do note the difference between some components that may not be easily upgradable (handlepost, folding latches). The Dahon will fold to a smaller package than the Stepdragon due to the shorter seat tube. The Dahon handlepost is much stiffer too.

For a relatively lightweight bike, the Vitesse D7 will be a good choice. Good platform to upgrade. However, note that the stock wheelset can only fit a 7 speed cassette, and the fork is chromoly not alu.

Actually if you can find the Vitesse P18 (~$1500), it is worth getting as the components are really decent, even if you do change them you can still sell them for a good price. Kinetix Comp wheels and alu fork. Got built in front derailleur mount also.

If you are willing to raise your budget much higher, the Vector X10 is one of the best you can get. Light, fast, looks great too! Just by comparing the components you can see le. But the price may just scare you off! ($2600)

Best way to decide is to go try the bikes! Or you can join us for one of our Sunday rides and try out all the different bikes at one go.

Regards,
Steve
Back to top Go down
zaynel

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks steve for the advises and recommendations.
I tried Vitesse D7, Speed D7 and Vector x10 at MBS a while ago.
I like the riding firmness feel for Speed's steel frame.
I love the look of vector x10 but i am more used to shimano gearing system compare to sram.
Is it worth getting a older version like 08/09, it's seems like the newer 10/11 had done quite some improvement on the flaw that the previous version have.

Thanks a million
Back to top Go down
tylsteve

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 am

There isn't really any problems with the older models, maybe minor component differences and some improvements. For example, the newer versions (2010 onwards) have a luggage mounting point on the front of the head tube to mount a bag or basket.

Or you can look for second hand bikes, I saw a nice MuSL for sale on togoparts.
Back to top Go down
omegaforest

omegaforest

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:12 am

If you want to upgrade quite a fair bit. Speed D7 is out.

Like Steve say, consider Vitesse or P8. Welcome to the club.
Back to top Go down
http://www.omegaforest.com
zaynel

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:21 am

Thanks for all the advises.

Is this P8 a good buy? http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace/ad_details.php?cid=10&aid=318942&page_id=2&done=list_ads.php%3Fcid%3D10%26page_id%3D2

how much is P8 previously when it's still selling in MBS or any LBS?
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
Prodik

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 am

Price here is around $1150 - $1200.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need advise on which foldie to get!   need advise on which foldie to get! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need advise on which foldie to get!
Page 1 of 1