Decide to write a small review of a bike I chance upon while in Taipei. The bike is no other than the Changebike by a small company called Change. I believe this is a very new company that just came into the bicycle scene. They do not have a whole series of model to offer but what they have are refreshing alternative to what is available in the folding bike market today. It almost like a copy of the Montague, but in a more standard frame shape. You can read more about the company at
Here is a small review of model I lugged back from Taipei (the DF-509D - Disc brake version, hence the D)
1) full size mountain bike
2) Folds easily
3) Uses standard mountain bike parts
4) Structurally strong. (standard diamond frame)
5) attachment hook for front wheel when folded. (see the video below)
6) comes with a bag that holds the bike when folded
7) respectable weight (13kg stock, can be lower depending on components used)
1) Choice of components could have been better, but then again, I got the lower end model
2) secondary locking mechanism was a problem for me initially, loose out of factory. Always got caught in the chain ring, but which correct tightening, it solved the problem. I got a replacement part from Change free of charge. Which kinda of show good customer service.
3) IS Rear disc bracket too near to rotor. Could be a frame design problem. The mounting point for bracket could be too near with the read hub choice used.
4) water bottle cage will interfere with fold. Hence a need for removable bottle cage
5) because of the standard diamond shape, non chain ring side of the crank have to be in certain position to fold
6) QRD pedal are great but i have forgotten to bring them out once and I ended up pushing the bike back home again. It will not take folding pedal, somehow it will impede the fold.
I have the bike for almost 6 months now. Used it to ride to work, hence mostly roads or Park connectors. Ride like any regular bike. Ridden on gravel track before and maybe I am too old, it a little too stiff for my liking. It folds and fit into my car booth easily. You can take it out and if it rains, it will fold like any foldable and fit in the trunk of a taxi.
Anyway, I hope some LBS can bring in the bike. Quality of the bike is not too bad.(welding, painting on the frame etc). And they seem to have a road bike version coming up. Well that it and if there if you see me riding, smile or wave and I know you have read this. Or if there is any other kaki having the same bike, maybe we can meetup sometime.