LovecyclingSG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Teaching children to ride

Go down 
+4
Freedom Rider
tambre
war_machine
twwoon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
twwoon
Ride Organizer
twwoon

Teaching children to ride  Empty
PostSubject: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 11:17 am

hello folks,
This is my 2011 first entry. Anyone have experience in teaching children to ride? I am now teaching my princess... Smile Any suggestions are welcome!

http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/2010/12/2011training-wheels-are-off.html
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
war_machine

war_machine

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 11:45 am

I rode with one training wheel on my left side...
Then quickly took that one off and had a starting push from my father
and just pedalled like crazy!
lol!
wooo,memories.
Back to top Go down
tambre

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 11:20 pm

One bike shop uncle taught me this : make sure that both legs touch the ground and ask the rider to glide the bike instead of cycling. Once they have the sense of balance, then encourage to pedal it. It works perfectly for my daughter, after all that running around like mad dog, this one works real fine and fast.
Back to top Go down
Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 11:51 pm

U remember when u were in japan, you took pix of children's bikes without pedals. Think that's a good way to start. Similar to what tambre said. They first learn to balance and glide the bike, then they learn to pedal. We all grew up with other people running after us and catching us before we fell. We still learnt but the poor runners... older siblings, cousins, parents, etc...memories indeed.
Back to top Go down
twwoon
Ride Organizer
twwoon

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:29 am

yah thats why I took out the training wheels and get her to balance the bike.. now looking for a very gentle slope where there is no trees so easier for her to learn... will update on her progress...
Freedom Rider wrote:
U remember when u were in japan, you took pix of children's bikes without pedals. Think that's a good way to start. Similar to what tambre said. They first learn to balance and glide the bike, then they learn to pedal. We all grew up with other people running after us and catching us before we fell. We still learnt but the poor runners... older siblings, cousins, parents, etc...memories indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
Mary_Ang

Mary_Ang

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Wah, I love her strawberry bike ... ...

When I was in Germany ( from Aug 2007 to Feb 2008 ) , I saw the German kids learn how to cycle via a wooden bike without training wheels and paddles ... ... Maybe we can get there in Singapore, I will check with my German friends.

Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/2011/04/there-is-somethi
Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 pm

twwoon wrote:
yah thats why I took out the training wheels and get her to balance the bike.. now looking for a very gentle slope where there is no trees so easier for her to learn... will update on her progress...

Sorry, din read your blog update before I posted my response. Legs and head both wobbly after the ride last night.
Back to top Go down
DarrenChia

DarrenChia

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Mary_Ang wrote:
Wah, I love her strawberry bike ... ...

When I was in Germany ( from Aug 2007 to Feb 2008 ) , I saw the German kids learn how to cycle via a wooden bike without training wheels and paddles ... ... Maybe we can get there in Singapore, I will check with my German friends.

Something like this?

http://sg.88db.com/Parenting-Children/Baby-Parenting-Products/ad-1856947/
Back to top Go down
Vince

Vince

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Very soon I'll be teaching my niece to ride too! getting her a bike soon!
Back to top Go down
bananamatronix

bananamatronix

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm

yeah, i noticed balance bikes are doing well these days.

in my case, my dad adjusted the training wheels on my bike when i was little so that it wouldn't touch the ground unless you start leaning on one side of the bike. i think it was done that way so in case i started to tip over, i'd still have the support of the training wheels.
Back to top Go down
http://unfoldandcycle.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teaching children to ride    Teaching children to ride  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teaching children to ride
Page 1 of 1