LovecyclingSG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
edwincts

Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  Empty
PostSubject: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi,
I am planning to get either a D8 or P9. Does anyone own any of these? Which would you recommend? I am hoping that D8 will be sufficient for most of my use as it is cheaper. But I read that P9 is a better machine. However, someone who owned a P9 had his chain dropped off frequently. If you own one of these - can you share your experience and thoughts on which to get?

ed
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 pm

hi edwin

pls post in LCSG FB for quick response and information. thanks
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lovecyclingsg
Back to top Go down
https://lovecyclingsg.niceboard.com
michael_loh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Ed,
i have 2 tern D8, so far so good, i cycle with my wife thru the PCN at east coast for a few time since we bought it, no issue.
Back to top Go down
ttlcs

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 am

Hi I have a D8. Some minor defect but was rectified quite easily. Another thing is when I use the smallest gear, there is a bit of "grinding" feeling. I have researched the net and some people see this on Dahon too. I reckon some tuning of the rear deraileur should help.
Back to top Go down
evirob

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:13 pm

I've the Link P9. no problem with the chain dropping as I removed the plastic chain guard.
I upgraded some stuff from wheelset to pedal to handle bar. I love the smooth ride on it.

I posted some pix of my bike in Tern Forum. take a look there:
http://www.ternbicycles.com/forum/its-my-tern
Back to top Go down
edwincts

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 10:06 am

Hi Michael,
Thanks. I ended up buying D8 as well and loved the ride. Good bike indeed. I realise my handpost down collapse as easily. Will have to bring back to the shop to adjust.

I realise 2 things : a. brought to MRT and found out it is not easy caring over great distance within MRT b. it didnt fit into a taxi after I install the kanga rack. Even when I remove the kanga rack, the truss is also in the way. So it is not as portable as I had thought.

But I am enjoying the ride. Any foldie riding groups in the north?

edwin

michael_loh wrote:
Ed,
i have 2 tern D8, so far so good, i cycle with my wife thru the PCN at east coast for a few time since we bought it, no issue.

Back to top Go down
edwincts

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 10:19 am

Yes my chain grinds as well. Hope I can get Chapter2 to adjust it. Is it there a way to get a tool key for Tern? I notice the bike didnt come with it.

edwin

ttlcs wrote:
Hi I have a D8. Some minor defect but was rectified quite easily. Another thing is when I use the smallest gear, there is a bit of "grinding" feeling. I have researched the net and some people see this on Dahon too. I reckon some tuning of the rear deraileur should help.
Back to top Go down
ttlcs

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Edwin, any luck after the fine tuning ? I saw in Tern forum that someone change the rear cassette to resolve this.
Back to top Go down
edwincts

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 am

Hi ttlc,
I think my bike is ok now with the adjustments. I am enjoying it!

ed

ttlcs wrote:
Hi Edwin, any luck after the fine tuning ? I saw in Tern forum that someone change the rear cassette to resolve this.
Back to top Go down
ttlcs

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:15 am

Hi Ed,

That's good you have ur bike fixed! What adjustments did they make?

I like the ride of the D8 too. Although I wish the fold could be more compact, I like the fact it rides like a full size bike.

tt
Back to top Go down
edwincts

PostSubject: Chain dropping   Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:09 am

Recently my D8 chain keep dropping in the gap between the gear and the chain guard. As it turns out, it was a design flaw. The change the chain guard (I do not know the proper name - but the round plate where the pedal on the chain side is) that has a smaller gap not big enough for the chain to drop into. My problem resolved. No more dropping.

I am just wondering, the most useful gear for me in 7. Gear 8 is not smooth. Gears 1-4 hardly use unless climbing up the hill. But when going down the hill, even 8 is not good enough for the speed - I couldnt pedal. Is it normal? All i do is not pedal and let the gravity roll the bike down.

ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?    Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone own a Tern Link P9 or Link D8?
Page 1 of 1