LovecyclingSG

We Ride as a team, Eat as a team, Suffer as a team, Finish as a team. E.R.P = Eat, Ride, Photo. It is about friendship and sharing people your neighbourhood and special places.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GL

avatar

Posts : 250
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Yap,451 is bigger wheels.
You got to give ur body a chance to work in order to train it to pedal harder and easier. Just like body building, you got to shock ur body to gain size. Changing to 60T is sort of shocking ur body to adapt to it by going stronger. If u keep using ur current ratio, ur body have already got used to it and never improve at all. Unless u use other method like attached weight to ur legs etc.

No black color 60t chainring as far as I know. U can alway spray paint it to black mah. I was actually thinking of doing that in fact.
Back to top Go down
GL

avatar

Posts : 250
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Prodik wrote:


Here goes the virus... lol!

I guess my rear T is good enough - at 11T. Put it this way, no strength to paddle if you give me even smaller. As for my front, stock would be 52T. I would like to change it to 60T to give it a trial. QUestion is, need more strength to paddle? Btw, other than MBS, where else can I get? GL's is silver colour... i want black.

For the WS, what you mean by 451? scratch
You will still need more strength when changed to 60teeth chainring.
Maybe before changing the chainring, try using ur smallest cog as your default gear to cycle on normal road and at the slope as well. This way, you can train your leg strength before ur hardware upgrade. You know that you have trained ur legs when u feel sore after the cycle.
Leg strength for 60teeth can be trained easily as bicycle is a very efficient machine.
Back to top Go down
tylsteve



Posts : 203
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:34 pm

omegaforest wrote:
tylsteve wrote:
hey guys looks like im joining in late! haha

Eddie what bike are you riding now? If i nv remember wrongly its the speed p8? Then the kinetix comp sure can fit the Kojak tires.

However its hard to get Schrader tubes for the Kojak, cos I think its hard to find small Schrader tubes (from MBS at least). Presta is good too, in fact I prefer presta now that I have switched to it.

And Eddie I think you don't have to change the chainring yet la, you should change it to 60T only if you have reached the gear limit of your bike (Eg. high cadence even at smallest rear sprocket). By the way 451 (mm) is used to denote the size of the wheel rim. The usual and more common wheel rim size for 20" wheels is 406. A 451 wheel would be more like 22" than 20", factoring in the tire.

Let me know when you going down to MBS! I very free now anytime also can..will be glad to join you guys there!

Steve

Thats a cool reply! STEVE
Steve, can the 60T fit on mt Speed D7? without changing other parts?


Unfortunately there is no way the 60T chainring can fit on the stock crankset. If you look at pictures you will see that the way that the chainring is mounted is different. Newer cranksets and chainrings will have 4 or 5 mounting points for the chain ring.

I guess if you wan to upgrade the chainring, you will have to take a big step forward and change the crankset! Razz

Of course, the cheapest upgrade is to upgrade your legs! Ride more at higher gears and you will eventually get stronger. No need for fancy training programs, just ride more!
Back to top Go down
omegaforest

avatar

Posts : 333
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : West, Alexandra

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Steve, u are my walking encyclopedia!

I was discussing with GL on the 60T today as I pretty much used up all the gear. Do you know an estimated cost for the 60T & crankset?
Back to top Go down
http://www.omegaforest.com
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:25 pm

omegaforest wrote:
Prodik wrote:
omegaforest wrote:
Eddie, are u going MBS?
I am thinking of checking out the 60T front chain ring!

When you want to go?

BTW, my problem is - given a better gear ratio for the rear (small, lesser T), i can't max out bcos leg no strength.... if given a big front chain ring (60T), will it be the same outcome? That means, no strength to paddle?

MBS open this Wed. I can go anytime. You let me know?
Leg strength need to train. Join us for rally training lah.

Will contact you tmr to confirm
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:26 pm

DarrenChia wrote:
wah all upgrading to 60T ?? Very Happy

Eddie : if you looking for 1.35" tyres you can check with steve regarding the Kojak tyres.

What are the tyres u using now?

Embarassed ... stock tires. I think is 20 x 1.75
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:28 pm

tylsteve wrote:
hey guys looks like im joining in late! haha

Eddie what bike are you riding now? If i nv remember wrongly its the speed p8? Then the kinetix comp sure can fit the Kojak tires.

However its hard to get Schrader tubes for the Kojak, cos I think its hard to find small Schrader tubes (from MBS at least). Presta is good too, in fact I prefer presta now that I have switched to it.

And Eddie I think you don't have to change the chainring yet la, you should change it to 60T only if you have reached the gear limit of your bike (Eg. high cadence even at smallest rear sprocket). By the way 451 (mm) is used to denote the size of the wheel rim. The usual and more common wheel rim size for 20" wheels is 406. A 451 wheel would be more like 22" than 20", factoring in the tire.

Let me know when you going down to MBS! I very free now anytime also can..will be glad to join you guys there!

Steve

yes... u r right. I'm riding a P8.

That's y i wanted to upgrade my tires to "slimmer" type to reduce rolling resistance.
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:40 pm

GL wrote:
Yap,451 is bigger wheels.
You got to give ur body a chance to work in order to train it to pedal harder and easier. Just like body building, you got to shock ur body to gain size. Changing to 60T is sort of shocking ur body to adapt to it by going stronger. If u keep using ur current ratio, ur body have already got used to it and never improve at all. Unless u use other method like attached weight to ur legs etc.

No black color 60t chainring as far as I know. U can alway spray paint it to black mah. I was actually thinking of doing that in fact.

haiz... i can't train much cos I have an injured knee when I fell from riding bikes... big bike! In fact recently the pain keeps coming back and I'm on glucosami before seeing specialist in Feb 2011...

That's y, i want to make my bike a "easier" ride to catch up with you guys... cheers

As for the chain ring, you can send it for anodising. Not sure where can do, but Singapore sure got some industry is doing
Back to top Go down
ztcc78
Bad Man
avatar

Posts : 852
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Bukit Batok

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:29 pm

GL wrote:

You will still need more strength when changed to 60teeth chainring.
Maybe before changing the chainring, try using ur smallest cog as your default gear to cycle on normal road and at the slope as well. This way, you can train your leg strength before ur hardware upgrade. You know that you have trained ur legs when u feel sore after the cycle.
Leg strength for 60teeth can be trained easily as bicycle is a very efficient machine.
but be careful not to stress ur knee..
know some cyclists injured their knee when they force too much up slope on heavy gears..

_________________
ZT
(65) 9762 9276
Facebook

Let's make SG a better place to ride for all
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112055678851789&v=wall
twwoon
Ride Organizer
avatar

Posts : 731
Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 pm

I will be at Mybikeshop with Matt and GL tomorrow around 1230 noon.
My friend want to get Dahon and I will meet him there to see see and most prob buy! see u pple tomorrow!

_________________
Taiwoon
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
twwoon
Ride Organizer
avatar

Posts : 731
Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Eddie, I also have ligament miniscus tear. Cant chiong/step high gear or later my left knee will pain and swell. So I try spinining... can go fast also. Plus inflate ur tyre hard hard... roll faster too Smile

Prodik wrote:
GL wrote:
Yap,451 is bigger wheels.
You got to give ur body a chance to work in order to train it to pedal harder and easier. Just like body building, you got to shock ur body to gain size. Changing to 60T is sort of shocking ur body to adapt to it by going stronger. If u keep using ur current ratio, ur body have already got used to it and never improve at all. Unless u use other method like attached weight to ur legs etc.

No black color 60t chainring as far as I know. U can alway spray paint it to black mah. I was actually thinking of doing that in fact.

haiz... i can't train much cos I have an injured knee when I fell from riding bikes... big bike! In fact recently the pain keeps coming back and I'm on glucosami before seeing specialist in Feb 2011...

That's y, i want to make my bike a "easier" ride to catch up with you guys... cheers

As for the chain ring, you can send it for anodising. Not sure where can do, but Singapore sure got some industry is doing
Back to top Go down
http://smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/
omegaforest

avatar

Posts : 333
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : West, Alexandra

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 pm

twwoon wrote:
I will be at Mybikeshop with Matt and GL tomorrow around 1230 noon.
My friend want to get Dahon and I will meet him there to see see and most prob buy! see u pple tomorrow!

Poison spreading like wild fire here. Ill check out the 60T front chainring and crankset and report back too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.omegaforest.com
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 pm

twwoon wrote:
I will be at Mybikeshop with Matt and GL tomorrow around 1230 noon.
My friend want to get Dahon and I will meet him there to see see and most prob buy! see u pple tomorrow!

Should be able to join in. See you guys tmr
Back to top Go down
GL

avatar

Posts : 250
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:08 pm

ztcc78 wrote:
GL wrote:

You will still need more strength when changed to 60teeth chainring.
Maybe before changing the chainring, try using ur smallest cog as your default gear to cycle on normal road and at the slope as well. This way, you can train your leg strength before ur hardware upgrade. You know that you have trained ur legs when u feel sore after the cycle.
Leg strength for 60teeth can be trained easily as bicycle is a very efficient machine.
but be careful not to stress ur knee..
know some cyclists injured their knee when they force too much up slope on heavy gears..
Noted, thank you for your advise.
Back to top Go down
DarrenChia

avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Have a good ride and have fun shopping Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GL

avatar

Posts : 250
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:17 pm

There are adapter for the prasta head. Only selling at $1-$2.
I got one and so far works great.
Back to top Go down
Clarence Chang

avatar

Posts : 365
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Ang Mo Kio

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 am

true enough Darren's bike is really a fast bike....he can cycle all the from ECP to hougang....on the road....no problem....our speed is about 28km/h to 30km/h can draft behind me somemore....dam cool....LOL

_________________
[b][u]I am Super Slow Turtle, Please Bear with Me!!! affraid affraid affraid
I Simply Love Riding....
[/u][/b]
Back to top Go down
tylsteve



Posts : 203
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Eh Eddie when you manage to test the Durano tires let us know how it feels!
Back to top Go down
ztcc78
Bad Man
avatar

Posts : 852
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Bukit Batok

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:39 pm

tylsteve wrote:
Eh Eddie when you manage to test the Durano tires let us know how it feels!
no shld be.. Eddie fix liao bring on next ride for test ride.. hehe

_________________
ZT
(65) 9762 9276
Facebook

Let's make SG a better place to ride for all
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112055678851789&v=wall
GL

avatar

Posts : 250
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Durano very nice de, I know coz I using mah:)
Eddie bike now:
+10 for speed
But safety -3
Do watch out for longang hole coz the tire too slim liao very dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:13 pm

ztcc78 wrote:
tylsteve wrote:
Eh Eddie when you manage to test the Durano tires let us know how it feels!
no shld be.. Eddie fix liao bring on next ride for test ride.. hehe

Fix up already... later if got time i will go for a spin
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:14 pm

GL wrote:
Do watch out for longang hole coz the tire too slim liao very dangerous.

Tat's what I told me son when he wanted to go for road bike... and I'm doing it now!
Back to top Go down
andrew_socold

avatar

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Prodik wrote:
GL wrote:
Do watch out for longang hole coz the tire too slim liao very dangerous.

Tat's what I told me son when he wanted to go for road bike... and I'm doing it now!

try to get the feel 1st, so next time to can teach ur son!
Back to top Go down
Prodik
Cool Dad
avatar

Posts : 551
Join date : 2010-12-20
Location : Taman Jurong - Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Just went for a quick ride....

Putting aside the physcology "that I have spend money", it does feels good. Less effort to ride... so far rating for dry road is good...
Back to top Go down
tylsteve



Posts : 203
Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

haha thats great. the difference is bigger the faster you go. you should find that you can cruise in a higher gear than before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon   

Back to top Go down
 
20" Tires upgrade for my Dahon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LovecyclingSG :: All about bikes :: Bike talk-
Jump to: